Living the life you choose
I now appear to be of an age when sad things start to happen. In the past two months, I have lost a parent, a close friend and illness of different kinds is hitting friends and colleagues.
It has made me realise how fragile life is and how we have to make the most of our time on this earth - doing what we love, spending special times with friends and family, living our lives in the way we choose, not as dictated by others. Of course, there are restrictions as to how we can do this - we may all want to set off in a campervan around Europe, but we have to earn money and care for our families. So often life gets in the way, stopping us from leading the life that we desire. And realistically it can be difficult to transform the life into an ideal. But there is plenty we can do to move towards the lifestyle that we choose. Here are some tips on how to plan out your life into the life that you desire:
What are your dreams and ambitions?
- Think about your dreams and ambitions. Write them down - they can be in relation to work, travel, hobbies or relationships. Just brainstorm everything that is going well/not so well and look critically at what you would like to change. What is achievable this week, this month, next year or in 5 years time? Where do you want to be in a year or 5 years time?
- Out of your list, what is most important to you? Which goals are achievable and which are just a dream? How you are going to reach your goals? Will you need to change jobs, move area, go on an adventure, take up a new hobby or build a new friendship group?
Take small steps
- If the steps planned are too big they will be overwhelming and not achievable. If you take small steps towards your goal, you are more likely to succeed.
Write down your plan, share it with a friend and review it every month
- This is important! If you write a plan but put it in a drawer you will not move forward with it. If you set yourself review dates, looking at it with a friend, you can consider where you have been successful and what you need to focus on over the coming weeks.
Don't be put off by life getting in the way
- Stay focused on your goal. We all meet barriers along the way but with focus, determination and some moral support from positive people around you, you can lead the life that you choose!
For me, recent events have made me all the more determined to lead the life that I desire. If you feel the same, write your plan and take your first steps to towards a happy, fulfilling life!